A unique opportunity to join a rapidly growing world-class team to engineer cutting edge Oracle Cloud technologies and infrastructure that make up the Oracle Cloud solutions. As part of the SRE team, you will be continually challenged and have an opportunity to contribute to the Oracle Cloud success every day, working closely with the development partners.
As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will solve interesting technical challenges by defining, designing, deploying, and troubleshooting key Oracle Cloud services, platforms, and infrastructure, always thinking about reliability, scalability, resilience, security, and performance.
The ideal candidate for this engaging and visible technical leadership role would have the experience of a developer, the wits of a systems and infrastructure whiz, and the courage of a spirited "closer".
All these qualities bundled up in an affable communicator in order to make our Oracle Cloud customers successful.
• Ownership Scope: as an SRE, you will understand the end-to-end configuration, technical dependencies, and overall behavioral characteristics of the production services you own. In partnership with your Development partners, you will have the responsibility to ensure that services are designed and delivered to be mission critical with focus on security, resiliency, scale, and performance. SREs are the ultimate authority and are accountable for the end-to-end performance and operability of the services they own.
• Service Design: as the Oracle Cloud evolves; you will partner with development teams in defining and implementing improvements in service architecture, both current and future. As an SRE, you will be an expert at articulating technical characteristics of your services and the dependencies between services, and guide Development teams to engineer and add premier capabilities to the Oracle Cloud service portfolio.
• Operations Engineering: you will understand and be able to communicate the scale, capacity, security, performance attributes and requirements of the services you own. You are a Subject Matter Expert, able to understand and communicate every characteristic of your service stack, such as:
- degradation and behavior under load of the services and their dependencies
- end-to-end tuning needs, optimizing resource utilization, as load patterns fluctuate
- Instrumentation and metrics that clearly describe the service behaviors
- scaling requirements and patterns
- resiliency and recoverability, ensuring that backup/restore and disaster recovery capabilities are implemented, tested and maintained
• Automation: you will have a clear understanding of automation and orchestration principles, and will be eager to automate, wherever and whenever the possibility arises, while simultaneously eliminating technical debt. Automation must be part of your DNA.
• Prevention: once you have expertly resolved an issue, you will immediately work on how to more quickly resolve the problem next time, with the goal to eventually prevent the problem happening ever again
• Technical Experts - As service owner, you are the ultimate escalation point for complex or critical issues that have not yet been documented as SOPs for Level1 staff. You will usually get called in during major incidents as an SME, when the source of a problem is unclear. You will have the deep understanding of service topology and their dependencies required to troubleshoot issues and define mitigations.
• Broad Interests: SREs are a rare mix of sysadmins and development Engineers, and as such have the ability to understand and explain the affect of product architecture decisions on the ability to run as distributed systems. They are driven by professional curiosity and a desire to a develop deep understanding of the their services and the technologies they depend upon.
• Represent SRE: proactive, self-motivated, customer-focused, organized, and a good communicator. SRE can be expected to represent Cloud products and engineering in sensitive forums.